Duncan G. Stroik Architect, LLC restored and renovated the interior of the 1919 Cathedral of St. Joseph in Sioux Falls, SD, following the vision of the original architect, Emmanuel Louis Masqueray. All photos: courtesy of Duncan Stroik Architect unless otherwise noted Before the restoration the interior of the cathedral was a monochromatic beige color. It had been painted many times over the years, most recently in the 1970s. The redesigned sanctuary includes a new circular baldacchino with a marble altar, a new high altar and an altar rail. American born artist Cody Swanson, now residing in Florence, Italy, sculpted the angels for the baldacchino. The nativity scene behind the baldacchino is now clearly visible, thanks to repainting and gold leaf added by Conrad Schmitt Studios. The new circular baldacchino designed by Stroik features marble columns weighing 8,000 lbs. each and a domed ceiling. The ceiling represents a dome that was felt to be missing in the cathedral. Carved in Italy of Calacatta crema marble, the new altar is embellished with cherubim, swags and wreaths of laurel. The circular marble ambo located on the right side of the sanctuary reflects the shape of the baldacchino and the circular motifs throughout the cathedral. New marble plinths and bases were added to the columns in the nave and the shafts were marbleized by Conrad Schmitt Studios. The firm also painted the Apostle medallions and Stations of the Cross so that they are now clearly visible. The chandeliers were designed based on historic photos and fabricated by Aurora Lamp Works. The pew ends were restored and new bodies were fabricated by Dakota Church Furnishings with matching designs.
Duncan G. Stroik Architect of South Bend, IN, designer of a number of traditionally styled churches, restored the
Cathedral of St. Joseph in Sioux Falls, SD. It was originally designed by Emmanuel Louis Masqueray and completed in 1919. The Royal Presidio Chapel in Monterey, CA – a Spanish Colonial-style structure originally built in 1793 – was restored from 1993 to 2009. The National Historic Landmark underwent seismic reinforcement, which exposed many interesting finds, such as 3,500 artifacts and a vibrant original interior decorative scheme. All photos: courtesy of Page & Turnbull, Inc. Masons removed inappropriate Portland cement plaster from the exterior and re-pointed the original stone rubble masonry. Lime plaster renders were then applied to the walls. New flashing and roof drainage were installed to improve drainage. Masons removed inappropriate Portland cement plaster from the exterior and re-pointed the original stone rubble masonry. Lime plaster renders were then applied to the walls. New flashing and roof drainage were installed to improve drainage. When portions of the interior Portland cement and wire lath were removed to install the metal straps for seismic retrofitting, remnants of original interior decorative painting were uncovered. The team carefully uncovered a pair of matching fonts with floral decorations surmounted by a red cross. Sections of the original decorative scheme were conserved and displayed behind specially designed protective glass to share the decoration with visitors. The remainder of the decorative painting in the chapel is an interpretation, not a replica, of the original color palette and motifs. The Stations of the Cross, which date to the 19th century, were conserved by Griswold Conservation Associates. The window opening was uncovered during seismic work, and was restored and painted to represent faux stone. The Stations of the Cross, which date to the 19th century, were conserved by Griswold Conservation Associates. The window opening was uncovered during seismic work, and was restored and painted to represent faux stone. Once the exterior was stabilized and renovated, work began on the interior. Now completed after 16 years, the Royal Presidio Chapel is ready for another two centuries. Once the exterior was stabilized and renovated, work began on the interior. Now completed after 16 years, the Royal Presidio Chapel is ready for another two centuries.
On a smaller scale, the preservation architect for the
San Carlos Cathedral in Monterey, CA, was Page & Turnbull of LA. The project was driven by the need for a seismic retrofit, but there were lots of other problems.
Basilica of St. John the Baptist
When Canning Studios started work at St. John’s, the firm faced a plain interior. Only the sanctuary had been decorated. The first phase of the project was to restore and decorate the sanctuary that had been painted in 1927. An unusual feature was the aluminum leaf on the ceiling. Canning filled this with eight 19-ft. tall niches containing grisaille-style paintings of statues of saints surrounded by architectural molding and columns. The balconies had been removed from the basilica in the 1930s or ’40s, leaving a void along the upper portion of the walls next to the stained-glass windows. The final design features the upper niches separated from the lower green walls with a decorative gold banding, with blue ceilings highlighted with gold ribbing. Stenciling throughout adds to the beauty of the basilica. The red and gold colors of St. John were carried through from the sanctuary to the nave to create a harmonious design scheme. The blue was inspired by the color in the sanctuary window. The red and gold colors of St. John were carried through from the sanctuary to the nave to create a harmonious design scheme. The blue was inspired by the color in the sanctuary window.
In Connecticut, Canning Studios restored the interior decorative painting at the
Basilica of St. John the Evangelist in Stamford. The three-year project included the sanctuary, the ceiling and the side chapels. Celli-Flynn Brennan and EverGreene Architectural Arts worked together to recreate the traditional interior of the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Greensburg, PA. Photo: Whitney Cox Responding to the times and to Vatican II, the renovation of 1971-72 produced a stripped-down version of the cathedral. Photo: courtesy of the Diocese of Greensburg This historic photo shows the original interior of the cathedral before it ws renovated in 1971. Photo: courtesy of Diocese of Greensburg The exterior was repointed and cleaned by Raimondo, Inc., Greensburg, PA. Photo: Volpatt Construction and Andrew Yourish The exterior was repointed and cleaned by Raimondo, Inc., Greensburg, PA. Photo: Volpatt Construction and Andrew Yourish The updated apse now houses the new cathedra surrounded by a cathedra canopy and flanked by a new altar screen. While the cathedra is marble, other elements are plaster painted to resemble stone, wood or marble. New custom-designed chairs seat up to 70 people, and a starry night sky scene creates a serene ceiling. Photo: Whitney Cox Ellison Bronze fabricated the two cast-bronze doors for the entry into the narthex, each weighing 700 pounds. The firm also created two single bronze doors for the sides of the building. Photo: courtesy of Ellison Bronze The new crucifix, now positioned over the altar, kept the original marble corpus. The decorative painting and stenciling on the ceiling can be seen above the crucifix. Photo: Whitney Cox
And in Pennsylvania, Celli-Flynn Brennan Architects and Planners restored
Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in Greensburg, PA. It was a family affair for Thomas Celli - his father had completed a renovation in 1971 following Vatican II.